Monday, January 1, 2007

Resolutions

Every year I make a few, at least 5 or more, and every year my resolutions go unresolved. I admit, I am a BAD resolution keeper. So I figure maybe if I put them in the open world that will keep me motivated to keep them. So here goes:

Resolution #1: I resolve to eat healthier this year. If I eat healthier then my family will eat healthier, because, after all, I am the cook.

Resolution #2: I resolve to lose weight. Isn't that a perennial favorite of everyone, even those that don't need to? In my case, I NEED to.

Resolution #3: I resolve to be more tolerant of those I don't agree with, namely, my sister. We don't get along and really never have, which makes me sad. I don't agree at all with the things she has done with her life, but it is HER life, and I have to let her live it. And she will suffer the consequences for it. There's a big long story here.

Resolution #4: I resolve to stop procrastinating. A friend had on his wall once "Procrastination is the thief of tomorrow." How true is that. I always say, Oh I can do this later. Well later turns into days, weeks, months, years. By the time I get around to it it is 3x as big as it would have been had I just done it to begin with.

Resolution #5: I resolve to enjoy my blessing more and to quit worrying about what I don't have. I DO have a lot. I have two beautiful HEALTHY children, a roof over my head. I have clothes on my back and food in my stomach. I have my health, a hard-working husband, my freedom. I have a LOT compared to most. Compared to SOME I don't. But that's ok. We are in a good place and for that I am thankful.

Resolution #6: I resolve to not take the little things for granted. I guess this kinda goes hand in hand with #5. But seriously, I am able to enjoy the smell of baking bread, or hear my children's laughter. I can see the sunrise and feel the sunset. I can run my hand over some fabric and tell you if it is itchy, or smooth, or silky. I can taste something and tell you if it salty or sweet. I can tell if the sky is blue or gray, if it is snowing or sunny. I could go and on and on. Point is, I have a lot to be thankful for. And that is a good thing.

0 Totally cool people said::